Football Presse

Cancelo lands in Barcelona and ready to pen contract

·By Carlos Volcano
Share
Cancelo lands in Barcelona and ready to pen contract

Barcelona/X.com

João Cancelo has arrived in Barcelona ready to get to work under Hansi Flick, saying he told the club's sporting director he was prepared to sit out a year rather than miss the move.

The Portuguese full-back touched down in the Catalan capital on Monday lunchtime, becoming the first of two summer arrivals to land in the city after agreements were reached over the weekend for both Cancelo and Rodri, with both players keen to link up with Flick's squad as soon as possible.

Speaking briefly to reporters on arrival, Cancelo made clear how determined he had been to force the move through.

"I told Deco that either I came to Barcelona or I'd go a year without playing. I've always identified with this club," he said.

Cancelo also reflected on the difficulties of severing ties with Al-Hilal.

"I thought it would be easier, but now I'm where I want to be. I've arrived as a free agent, I've made a big effort to come to Barça. We're building a great team," he added.

The defender terminated his contract with Al-Hilal on Sunday, giving up a significant sum of money in the process to secure his release with a year still remaining on his deal. That resolution made it considerably easier for him to complete a move to Barcelona, arriving as a free agent and sparing the club from having to negotiate any transfer fee.

Cancelo has long made clear that Barcelona was his priority, something he demonstrated last season during a loan spell at the club. He made significant financial sacrifices to wear the shirt, sacrifices the club has taken note of over time.

Barcelona had in fact been reluctant to let him leave after that initial loan, but financial difficulties at the time meant they were unable to compete for a permanent deal.

Cancelo landed in Barcelona hoping to reach a swift agreement with the club, with talks already well advanced through his representative, Jorge Mendes.

He is now expected to undergo a medical before joining Flick's training sessions. Rodri was also expected to arrive in Barcelona on Monday evening, with his own medical scheduled for Tuesday.