Football Presse

Giráldez hails Celta Vigo's historic Europa League return but keeps tight-lipped on Marcos Alonso

·By Junior Yekini
Share

Claudio Giráldez celebrated Celta de Vigo's second consecutive Europa League qualification on Saturday night after a 1-0 victory over Sevilla at Estadio Abancá-Balaídos, with Ilaix Moriba's goal enough to confirm their place in Europe next season.

The Vigo club finished sixth in LaLiga, one place higher than last season, in what Giráldez described as a year of exceptional difficulty given the expectations placed on the squad after their previous European campaign. Standing on the centre circle alongside club president Marián Mouriño and captain Iago Aspas after the final whistle, the head coach addressed the crowd directly before speaking to the press.

"The supporters deserved this end to the season," he said. "We know we have not been good at home and today was the perfect day to settle that debt. We did it with some very good spells of play and without suffering excessively at any point in the match. The players deserved to have a proper celebration of a spectacular, intense year that will be very difficult to repeat. It was a perfect day."

He was measured when asked to put the achievement in perspective.

"We have to keep our feet on the ground. When we stop being humble it is very easy to make mistakes. If you look at the points difference it is very small in that second group of clubs below us in the table. The history of the club and what has happened this year in the league must give us that caution ahead of the start of next season."

On the upcoming transfer window, Giráldez acknowledged the financial constraints the club continues to operate within.

"We have been working all year. On Tuesday we have a meeting and from there we will be connected all summer because that is what is required. We know the economic difficulties we still carry. It has to be a coherent summer."

The outstanding question on the night was the future of veteran left-back Marcos Alonso, 35, who is out of contract this summer. When asked whether Saturday had been his final appearance as a Celta player, Giráldez admitted he had tried and failed to get an answer.

"I went to ask César Azpilicueta if Marcos had already told him something — but the so-and-so wouldn't give anything away."

It is the second time in the club's history that consecutive generations have qualified for Europe in back-to-back seasons.