Football Presse

Xabi details plan to revive Cole Palmer at Chelsea

ยทBy Paul Vegas
Share
Xabi details plan to revive Cole Palmer at Chelsea

Chelsea/X.com

Xabi Alonso has outlined his plan to revive Cole Palmer this season, insisting Chelsea "need to have a great Cole" if they are to have a great campaign under their new manager.

Palmer, 24, enjoyed a superb first two seasons at Stamford Bridge but struggled for form and fitness in 2025-26, a slump that cost him a place in England's World Cup squad two years after he scored in the Euro 2024 final.

The attacking midfielder has since worked through a full pre-season under Alonso, and with Chelsea opening their campaign at Fulham on Monday, the Spaniard was asked how he intends to get the best out of him.

"First it has to be physical," Alonso told the Men in Blazers Media Network. "Because you need to feel healthy, you need to feel on your full potential 100 per cent to perform. Once you feel this healthy and fit then you need confidence. You need to feel that the system works, that you are enjoying your game and you have your responsibilities within the game.

"But Cole is a special player. If we want a great Chelsea, we need to have a great Cole. And for that we need to build a strong and stable structure to reach him in the right place in the right moments and then he will make the difference."

Palmer has previously said he felt he had a point to prove after missing out on Thomas Tuchel's World Cup squad, and revealed Alonso reached out with a supportive message as soon as the news of his omission broke, a gesture he said he appreciated. Alonso offered further insight into those early conversations with his forward.

"That this is an important season for everyone," he said of his message to Palmer. "And for him he can have a great impact in this great year we want to have, but mainly [I said] that he [needs to] feel confident to enjoy his game and for that we need to help him."

Palmer has also spoken about returning to full fitness after playing through a groin issue for much of last season that, in hindsight, he admits he should have rested.

"I feel good now," he said. "The seven weeks [off over the summer] obviously helped. I'm ready to go again."

Chelsea face a demanding start to the campaign, following Monday's trip to Fulham with a Carabao Cup second-round tie against Luton at home on Thursday before hosting Brighton the following Sunday.