Mourinho has agreed a two-year deal to return to Real Madrid, confirmed by Fabrizio Romano, thirteen years after he left the club following a turbulent three-year spell. An official announcement is expected after the club's final La Liga match against Athletic Club on Saturday, with a formal unveiling pencilled in for next week.
Cadena SER reports that Real Madrid's board intends to propose Rodri to Mourinho as his first major transfer target, with the 29-year-old Spanish midfielder having emerged as the club's preferred option in that area after a bid for PSG's Vitinha was ruled out.
Mourinho is said to be enthusiastic about the prospect, viewing Rodri as the kind of controlling midfielder whose leadership and tactical discipline could address the imbalance that has been visible in the squad since the departures of Toni Kroos and Luka Modric.
Rodri's contract at Manchester City runs until the summer of 2027, and extension talks are understood to have stalled. He has previously said that no player could refuse an offer from Real Madrid. City have made clear they want him to stay, and a fee of somewhere between 60 and 100 million euros has been discussed in various reports. Manchester City sporting director Hugo Viana is understood to be working to tie Rodri down before any approach can gain traction.
The deal for Mourinho is not yet formally complete — an announcement is expected once Real Madrid elections conclude on May 23 — but the Portuguese is already involved in squad planning discussions. Real Madrid board member Fran García, Dani Ceballos and Eduardo Camavinga are among the players expected to leave this summer, creating space in the squad for arrivals.