Football Presse

Carrick confirms Man United left-back plans after Baleba deal

·By Paul Vegas
Share
Carrick confirms Man United left-back plans after Baleba deal

Manchester United/X.com

Michael Carrick has suggested Manchester United will go after a new left-back once they complete their move for Brighton midfielder Carlos Baleba this week.

Manchester United are in advanced talks with Brighton, having made an initial bid of £60m plus £5m in add-ons for the 22-year-old, who is set to become the Red Devils' third midfield signing of the summer as they complete their rebuild in the engine room. A left-back is next on United's list of priorities, with Barcelona's Alejandro Balde having emerged as a target this week.

Asked in a press conference whether left-back was an area United could improve, Carrick kept his answer measured.

"I just think we're looking to strengthen the squad," Carrick said. "We're certainly working towards that, making the most of the situation that we have and trying to improve things and trying to move forward. You know, I said the same thing to you last time.

"So, yeah, certainly trying to make the most of the opportunities to finish the window stronger than we went into it. And I think we're a good way to doing that, so far."

Carrick was speaking ahead of his side's Premier League opener away to newly promoted Hull City on Saturday. Even if United agree a deal with Brighton before the deadline for registering new signings, Baleba will not be available for that game because of injury.

One man who is likely to feature is Benjamin Sesko, who Carrick mentioned as part of a four-man injury update. The striker missed the entirety of pre-season with a shin problem but returned to full training this week, alongside goalkeeper Karl Darlow and defender Matthijs de Ligt, although Mason Mount needs more time in the treatment room.

"Yeah, Karl's trained this week. He's back training, so he's in good shape," Carrick said. "Matt's obviously been out for a long period of time, but he's training and great to have him back. He won't be involved, but he's in good shape and moving in a good direction.

"So that's really a good bonus for us, at this stage, to have him back. Ben's back training. So that's again another positive. Looking forward to having him back around the group and getting him some minutes as well.

"And then managing Mason a little bit, but he's very close, so it's touch and go for the weekend really, if not, going into next week. He's picked up a little bit of a knock. There's no drama. It's maybe been a week or so, 10 days or whatever it's been. So it's nothing major."